Home > Michigan's Lighthouses on Lake Michigan > Ludington North Pierhead Light

Ludington North Pierhead Light

In 1870, Congress appropriated the money needed to build a beacon on the south side of the Ludington Harbor Channel. Ludington North Pierhead Light was first lit 1871. In 1914, the beacon was moved to the Ludington North Pierhead Light north breakwater. In 1870 the beacon was equipped with a Sixth Order Fresnel lens.

In 1924, the three-story 57 foot pyramid-shaped tower was built at the end of a long concrete pier that ends at Stearns Park. The lighthouse is made of steel and reinforced concrete which sits on a large black concrete base that angles toward the side of the pier. The light was automated in 1972. In 1995, the original Fourth Order Fresnel lens, which was installed in 1954, was taken to nearby White Pine Village Maritime Museum for exhibit. The lighthouse marks the entrance to Pere Marquette Harbor, once a popular shipping lane for ships carrying lumber.

Directions: From the junction of US-31 and US-10 just east of Ludington, go west on US-10 (Ludington Avenue) about 3.7 miles to the end of the road, at Stearns Park.

More Pictures of Ludington Lighthouse...

Home | Contact Us | Site Map