Home > Michigan's Lighthouses on Lake Michigan > Frankfort North Breakwater Light

Frankfort North Breakwater Light

In 1859, two six hundred foot piers were built at the mouth of the Betsie River which leads to Frankfort North Breakwater Light Lake Betsie. In 1867, a new entrance to the channel was dredged approximately seven hundred and fifty feet to the south of the natural outlet. In 1873, the Frankfort North Breakwater lighthouse was built at the end of a long wooden pier with an elevated catwalk which led to the shore.

In 1932, the current lighthouse was situated at the end of what is now the northern concrete pier at the end of Main Street at Frankfort North Breakwater Light the entrance to the harbor of Frankfort. The original pyramid style lighthouse was increased in size by placing it on top of a new two-story addition which is approximately twenty-five feet in height. You can still see the outline of the two doors to the original lighthouse. The catwalk that appears in the original photograph no longer exists. It appears by the existence of a new second story door that the renovated lighthouse was at one time accessed by a catwalk or built to be access by a catwalk. The second story door is ten feet in height which is the height the catwalks were frequently built. The entire lighthouse is now clad with a white steel shell to protect it from Lake Michigan and its storms. The cast iron lantern room, surrounded by a parapet, originally contained a Fifth Order Fresnel lens that was upgraded to a Fourth Order Fresnel lens. This station lighthouse has never been manned.

Directions: From the junction of M-115 and M-22, go one block south on M-22 to Main Street. Turn right (west) onto Main Street and go about 1/2 mile to the beach and parking area.

More pictures of Frankfort Lighthouse...

Home | Contact Us | Site Map